Last night we took about 20 people to Clackamas Town Center Cinema to see "We're All In This Together" a feature film documentary from Hillsong United about reaching a wandering and wounded world with the action of love and the message of Jesus. This movie was revolutionary for this reason:
For too long Social Justice advocates have left out the necessity of Christ as the cure, and for too long Christians shouting "repent" have left out the necessity of compassion as the cause. The I-Heart film blended both, giving us a clear picture of how our message and our actions must be seemlessly tied together.
Here are my favorite quotes:
- The future will be written in the way we respond to the moment in front of us
- The church does not exist to meet our needs but to meet the needs of the world around you
- "You can choose to look the other way, but you can never say you did not know." - William Wilberforce
- You don't have to travel across the world to make a difference, just walk out your front door!
- The most terrible poverty is loneliness and the feeling of being unloved. - Mother Teresa
- history will never be made till you recognize where you fit in HIStory, see a need do your part & meet it the best you can
- If what happens inside the walls of church doesn't make an impact on the streets around it then maybe we r missing the point
- "5 corporations control 90% of what is seen in the world"
- Jesus is the ultimate expression of God's love to humanity.
- The love of God cannot be measured but it can be demonstrated.
- If you are not part of the solution you are a part of the problem.
- “I can’t stand your religious meetings. I’m fed up with your conferences and conventions. I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals. I’m sick of your fund-raising schemes, your public relations and image making. I’ve had all I can take of your noisy ego-music. When was the last time you sang to me? Do you know what I want? I want justice—oceans of it. I want fairness—rivers of it. That’s what I want. That’s all I want.” - Amos 5:21-24, The Message
- What we are not, He is
- Isaiah 58:9-10 - ”If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.”
- Injustice and indifference walk together hand-in-hand.
- Talk is cheap, put feet to your vision
We're headed to our leadership retreat today - this film and our response will be much of our discussion - yet what we truly need to do is talk less and "be" more. We need to "be" the sequel to this film. God help us.