My life as I follow Jesus Christ, and live life as a husband, father, friend, pastor, runner, coach, and sinner who found forgiveness and favor with God.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Understanding Given not Gained

1 Kings 3:4  "Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?"

In churchplanting there are so many opinions, models, books, and networks that it can seem like "success" is simply finding the right formula by adding  A + B + C.  If I just read "this" book, or talk with "that" churchplanter for have "these" resources, we'll be good to go.  So, so wrong.

Once again I read in Scripture that God is the source and that he alone is the one that gives understanding.  The moment we put these other (well-intended) books and people above God - we've begun practicing idolatry - as if those people and books are what we really need rather than God himself.

Let God be your God, and let your friends be your friends - but don't ever get them mixed up in where your source of wisdom and help comes from.
















Prayer:  God be my source.  That I would know you.  Help me.  Give your servant an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people in the name of the Lord without the Lord?  Come Lord, be my source.