My life as I follow Jesus Christ, and live life as a husband, father, friend, pastor, runner, coach, and sinner who found forgiveness and favor with God.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

U2 Christianity/Spirituality and White As Snow Lyrics


Today the new U2 album "No Line On The Horizon" was released. U2 is the icon for us 20-30 somethings when it comes to cutting edge, mainstream, music with spiritual elements. I've always struggled with the "Christianity" of U2 because even though Bono regularly talks about Jesus and the journey he is on, there seems to be a lack of unabashed commitment to following Christ.

My prayer is that in seeking out Truth, the guys of U2 will "finally find what they've been looking for". In the meantime, I can fully appreciate the depth of their lyrics such as "White As Snow" which I have posted below.

So, what's the view from where you stand? Should U2 be applauded for asking the rest of the world to wrestle with their spirituality? Should U2 be chided for making social issues a bigger concern than declaring the preeminence of Christ as the One and only Savior? Should we not be so investigative and just enjoy the music when it's good, and turn it off when it's not?

If you don't consider yourself a Christ follower- what's your take on the message of U2? Do they even have a message, or are they just another band to you?

If you do believe that Christ is your Savior and consider yourself saved by grace, through faith - how do you value their music?

Chime in!

WHITE AS SNOW
Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highways straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me
Now this dry ground it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon
The road refuses strangers
The land the seeds we sow
Where might we find the lamb as white as snow

As boys we would go hunting in the woods
To sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Every face we cannot know
If only a heart could be as white as snow
If only a heart could be as white as snow

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I like these lyrics alot, Marc Driscolls video is awesome too!

"There is a God out there that relentlessly pursues us!"

I loved that.

Brad Ruggles said...

There's always been a spiritual tone to U2's music and this album is one of their strongest. The lyrics on songs like White As Snow are so rich without being over the top. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Brian,
I gotta say i love U2. i also don't believe in "christian music". i believe there is Worship music and then there is everything else. I believe that some Non-Worship music can edify and i also believe that there is a TON of unedifying music that a Christ follower ought not to be listening to. U2 is diffidently NOT worship music but i find u2 to be edifying because they shout the cry of humanity like in the song you cited. Great post and great conversation starter.