My life as I follow Jesus Christ, and live life as a husband, father, friend, pastor, runner, coach, and sinner who found forgiveness and favor with God.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hey Beth Moore: Get INTO That Pit!


ok, ok we're talking about different "Pits", so go ahead and keep getting OUT of the "pits" that Beth Moore speaks of in her book such as the pits mentioned here:

Job 33:28 “He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light.’

Psalm 40:2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit (pit of despair), out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

But this Sunday, I'll be preaching for the second week on getting INTO certain pits such as the one mentioned here:

2 Samuel 23: "Benaiah son of Jehoiada was a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, who performed great exploits. He struck down two of Moab's best men. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion."

My user-friendly definition of these pits: The pit is where the action is, and if you embrace it – your life won’t be boring and lame like so many religious people.

The pits must not be avoided, but rather seeked out. Benaiah didn't find himself in a pit, he saw a pit, altered the course of his journey so he could jump in and make something happen. As Christians there are "pits of destiny" we must pursue with faith, courage and risk, and there are "everyday pits" waiting to be encountered to bring the light and love of God to those who are in the dark and wounded.

It's time to get INTO that pit!

No comments: