My life as I follow Jesus Christ, and live life as a husband, father, friend, pastor, runner, coach, and sinner who found forgiveness and favor with God.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

S.T.I.R. day twenty-three: Quit Looking So Good

All Summer long our youth ministry, Switch, is going "GOSPELICIOUS". We reading through all the gospels in 90 days and each day we S.T.I.R. it up based on the one verse that really hit us hard that day. 2 Peter 3:1-2 says "Beloved, I now write to you...in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior..." so that's where we got the STIR idea from - that reading Scripture should "stir" us up. Enjoy!

S.cripture: Matthew 23:4 "They crush you with impossible religious demands and never lift a finger to help ease the burden (5) Everything they do is for show...(6)they love to sit at the head of the table...(7)they enjoy the attention they get...(25)full of greed and self-indulgence...(28) You try and look like upright people outwardly, but inside your hearts are filled with hypocrisy and lawlessness.

T.eaching: It doesn't matter how good you look or sound, doing "godly" things.

I.mpact: Yikes. I do enjoy the outward things - I must become focused on what matters.

R.esults: Lord may I not be likened to these that you mention - change my heart and give me a new spirit of meekness and humility. I love You Jesus. Love Brian

No comments: